Naturally healthy homes
Naturally healthy homes
Our Vision for a unique development in the New England region
Innovative developer Jenny Sewell has always been an advocate of energy efficient housing. Research has reinforced her experience that demand for energy efficient homes from investors, home owners and tenants will continue to grow as resources become more costly.
Jenny set out to find a team of like-minded professionals to transform an existing property in her portfolio into a distinctive development that met the needs of the New England region.
Two titles existed on the property in Lynches Road, Armidale, and the main house had been rented for 20 years with the idea of one day developing the site.
With the budget tight, designer Joakim Ho of Natural Matters Design creatively arranged existing boundaries to deliver three unique energy efficient homes. The existing home has been retained and improved as part of the project.
The result will be an energy efficient design with a practical, spacious internal feel. The tight budget dictated certain criteria:
- Use of standard materials that were common to local building practice
- Design to maximize space creation on a limited footprint areas;
- Single storey construction; and
- Reasonably simple roof and wall configurations.
Creating Energy Efficient Homes
With the assistance of the ROCKCOTE Thermal Dry Zone Walling System , the three new structures in the development have achieved a 6.5 Green Star rating – a critical criteria of living comfortably in the second coldest climate zone in Australia.
The winter climate in Armidale creates the need for homes to be closed up and heated for a significant part of the year. Smoke, toxic paints, dampness and mould can all contribute to an unhealthy environment in the home.
This development incorporates the ROCKCOTE range of non-toxic paints, approved by the asthma foundation to facilitate a clean living environment. The homes will be full of light and warmth. They will be dry and free of toxic fumes generated by mainstream paint products.
- Compact R2.5 thermal insulation batts within all external walls and R4.0 thermal batts over the ceiling
- Double glazing to all external glazes windows and doors
- External breathable wall wrap over the stud framing
- All lighting in conditioned zones not penetrating the ceiling layer
- Sealing all the window/door frames to the stud framing to reduce risk of draft
- R3.1 ventilated cavity through the use of ROCKCOTE’s Dry Zone System – further assisting in enclosing the building with a beautiful, well-functioning skin
- ROCKCOTE EcoStyle Paints used on interiors – free from dangerous chemicals and solvents, with Zero Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
ROCKCOTE Dry Zone Walling System is a hit
After conducting wide research including speaking with Bob and Rob at ROCKCOTE, the team unanimously selected the ROCKCOTE Dry Zone Walling System for the building exteriors.
According to developer Jenny Sewell, the entire project has been a successful collaboration with everyone enthusiastically embracing the innovative new approaches being used.
"Ross and the team from Ross Hammond Building Services installed all the Greenboard for the project after being upskilled by Phil on installation, creating a strong partnership. The light, easily manoeuvred polystyrene panels of the ROCKCOTE Dry Zone System were a hit with the whole installation team. Feedback from the site is that the system was fast and easier to install, resulting in substantial cost savings."
"Bob reminds me that in a discussion on the ROCKCOTE Dry Zone Walling System some years ago, I remarked at how great it was but that the Armidale Builders and market might be slow to embrace it."
"Here we are now working together and leading change right here in Armidale with this wonderful building solution."
- Developer Jenny Sewell
- Designer Joakim Ho – Natural Matters Design
- Builder Ross Hammond – Ross Hammond Building Services
- Solid Plasterer Phil Gogerly – APG Exteriors Pty Ltd
- ROCKCOTE Bob Cameron Managing Director, and Rob Bennett – Business Development Manager for Northern NSW
- Surveyor Croft Surveying
- Substrate NRG
- Engineer McKenzie Burridge & Associates
- Electrician Neal Howard Electrical
- Plumber Ingliss Plumbing
- Concretor Heritage Concrete
- Hardware Armidale Building Supplies, Richardson’s Mitre 10
- Frames & Trusses Trussframe Pty Ltd